Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rolled Up Jean Shorts and Birkenstocks with Socks

This post is dedicated to all of the funny little idiosyncrasies that seem to typify Utah County residents. These are not meant to be criticisms, just observations—most of which I have an affinity for myself so I hope nobody gets offended. I do have to admit that I stole this idea from a book that I saw a while back entitled “What White People Like”; I just tailored it for my 11 dedicated followers. Once again this has a high risk of running long so the list will not be exhaustive so feel free to tell me what I missed.

Photography. I’m not talking about the hobby, I am talking about the epidemic known as commercial photography. In the good old days, you paid someone to take your picture for three things: your wedding, your always dreaded yearly family Christmas picture, and your school pictures (tip to parents on that last one: always get the cheapest package. Any photographer that uses a rubber chicken does not deserve the satisfaction of selling you 13 wallet-size images. Those guys could get a way with murder!) In modern Mormondom, we somehow think it is necessary to pay for photography at every milestone in our lives from baby’s first steps, turning 16, graduation, mission farewell, mission homecoming, pre-engagement, engagement, bridals, post wedding and so on. I swear I even know somebody who got professional head shots taken for their facebook profile. Aspiring individuals have seized that opportunity and entered the market. I would venture to say that 3 out of every 5 Utah County mothers consider themselves to be professional photographers. Interestingly enough, very few of these women have actually been trained in the art of photography; seemingly their single qualification is that they have a camera that is bigger than everybody else’s. (I just googled “Utah County Photographers” for fun…18,500,000 hits. That sounds about accurate)

Arrested Development and Acoustic/Local Music. What do these two things have in common you ask? I am as guilty as anybody on this one. To begin, the tv show Arrested Development is truly one of the most underrated shows ever and Tobias Funke might actually be the greatest character ever to hit television. Aside from its comedic genius, it seems that we tend to love this show and talk about it so often because not very many people know about it. I guess, truly, we just like to think we know something that nobody else does and being the first to tell them about it gives us some kind of sick satisfaction. We do the same thing when we think we were the first ones to discover some new musician; we want to tell everybody about it, but when it gets wildly popular we get all defensive and start telling people that we heard them first—hence our attraction to local music and single name acoustic guitarists that don’t have albums with huge record labels. Do you see the connection or is that a stretch?

P90X. I will give you one million dollars if you can walk into a gathering of greater than 50 locals and not find a single soul talking about this workout video. For those of you who aren’t listening and don’t know anything about it, this is not your typical Jane Fonda stretch pants and leg warmer work-out vid, this thing will blow your mind!
*(side note: my wife and I are on an indefinite exercise hiatus so I do not speak from experience)

Pregnancy and Entrepreneurship. Pregnancy in general is part of every Utah girl’s skill set, but here in Utah County we don’t stop there…Your pregnancy is also your small business license. The downside to this is that our poor kids have now become our dress up dolls. Remember when onesies were all you ever needed to keep your kid protected from the elements? Now there are roughly 61,448 “baby boutiques” along the Wasatch Front selling all of, but not limited to, the following items: tutus, leggings, hats, shoes, nylons that are worn on the head, grossly oversized hairbows that often require their own nylon head band and zip code (a trend reemergence that I have not welcomed with open arms), insanely priced diaper bags, binky clips, nursery decorations, jewelry, decorated baby wipes containers, and wigs….okay not really wigs but what if?

I have had so much fun with this post and have so much more I want to say that I am going to continue it on next week with your recommendations, so don’t be stingy with your comments.

9 comments:

  1. I wish I could call myself a 'professional photographer' but my camera does not even work at the moment. P90X - I just learned about it a month ago, it is a mind blower! And baby wigs, I would not be surprised if they had those too.
    I look forward to next weeks read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared, I am not kidding everything you said hit the nail on the head, except I think one minor thing you failed to mention was the new requirement for returning/new BYU students. You have to go to Cafe Rio on a first date, while waiting in line talk about nothing but your major, the men have to wear braided belts, jean shorts, doc martins with socks, and a "fully invested" t-shirt. The ladies have to have a french braid in the front of their hair, an undersized dress/oversized t-shirt with leggings and then a pair of boots that they borrowed from pocahontas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, one last thing. We watch the p90x advertisement every sunday morning. Jenner said this is the greatest workout to ever come out! And told me that I wouldn't even recognize him after he was done. He lasted t-minus 9 days, 2 hours and 22 seconds.
    As does all who try.... Nonetheless, it's still exciting everytime you watch it, it's the same feeling you get while watching Rocky IV, you still think the russian might win... same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. Scott and I just had the "every woman alive thinks she is a professional photographer" conversation!! AHAHAHA!! But I love your take on it that as long as they have a camera bigger than yours, they are! P90X....Scott bought that long ago and actually used it for a while, I lasted a whole 9 mins on the plyometrics DVD...it's a b****! Also, I love your observation that being a mother includes a business license! SOO true!! Hilarious! I've never seen so many onesies with a tie sewed on them and "bedazzled" baby items in my life as I have in the University Mall. Good times Jared. Look forward to your weekly post like I do Christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you on the whole "dressing the baby up" but it is so fun I love to see Mayc in all the fun headbands,bows, dresses, leggings etc.
    Oh one more things can you get me all the adresses of the boutiques????

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boutigue in Riverwoods has binkies with diamonds! If anyone is interested they are $125.00! Also, I wanted to let you know that we were going to get family pictures done (since the leaves are changing) so wear denim. We are going to all look back at the camera as we walk on train tracks, what do you think?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like you wrote this about me -- I'm a little offended. So what if I paid $99.95 (plus tax) for a professional photo shoot for my facebook profile pic (Olan Mills circa 1985). And is it really my fault that I single-handedly discovered and selflessly promoted the likes of Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, the Aquabats and even Kalai?

    PS: I also think blogging is out of control in Utah Valley. That's why I waited until I moved to St. George before I started blogging.

    PS #2: You owe me $1,000,000.00 because I just went to the Seville on Center Street in Orem and nobody there had even heard of P90X.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I thought I raised my children to be independent thinkers! It's why I encouraged you to play in the dumpster when we lived in the ghetto, remember?

    Erica! Good to see you my long lost blogfriend. Alas, I've abandoned my blogging for the new old-people-trend...Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha ha ha ROFL, I thoroughly enjoyed that and thus I now know why people get so defensive when you mistake them for someone from utah, even if they have lived here since they were 2 they still don't want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete