Sunday, October 11, 2009

Back to Basics

After a couple of weeks of ranting and writing about things that might only interest a small segment of the county population, I have decided to try and stay on theme this week and give a little plug to one of my favorite locals in the valley. Technically it's not in the valley at all actually but we can make it work
Living in Utah we have the privilege of living at the base of one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the United States…Maybe even the world. Perhaps some of us tend to take this for granted from time to time. I like to think I have tried to make the most of my experience along the Wasatch Front. One location that I believe everyone who ends up leaving the beautiful expanses of Happy Valley really misses is Provo Canyon. Honestly this place provides an array of recreational activities that no individual no matter how young or old could not find something to keep them entertained. These are a few of my favorite things: Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens….JK Rowling, I couldn’t help myself
Fishing. If you don’t like to fish you can just get the heck out of here, this is America. Not only is Provo River one of the premier fly fishing destinations in the United States (well, for me maybe), but the vistas are incredible. Plus, if you go often you might actually be lucky enough to expose yourself to a local celebrity.
Bombing the Canyon. For all you old people who are not hip to new vernacular, this is not a terrorist threat. This is what we call long boarding down the Provo Canyon Trail (sorry again old people, a long board is a long skateboard…seriously get with the times). This can provide hours of enjoyment but if you decide to go, do me a favor and don’t be that guy who thinks it is hard core to break the rules and annoy everybody else on the trail.
Rafting the River. Although this has most recently turned into an activity for white trash people to waste time between NASCAR races and the summer rodeo line-up it actually is so much fun. A buddy of mine chartered tours a couple of summers ago for his in-laws who own High Country Rafting and it is worth every penny. You can also bring your own tube but if you get one from Wal-Mart make sure you start way down stream because you are not going to make it 15 feet on that piece of crap…no offense.
Outdoor Movies. I thought I would throw this in as we do live in the cheesy date capital of the world. (by the way, did you know that in other parts of the U.S. people ask people on dates by calling them…weird huh?). I actually did this once and I almost felt like I had to wear camouflage because the thought of running into somebody I knew seeing me do something so "BYU" gave me the gee willikers. I did have a good time though, but don’t take my word for it.

Hiking, Timpanogos Story Telling Festival, Water Skiing at Deer Creek, Skiing and outdoor theatre at Sundance, rope swing at Murdock Diversion Dam, and hucking pumpkins off cliffs were all honorable mentions…accept outdoor theatre at Sundance actually, I redact that, get some decent actors and maybe.

I would like to thank Julie Andrews and LeVar Burton for helping me with this post

3 comments:

  1. Please tell me you had to google to find out that his name is "LaVar Burton".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog Jared!! The one thing I truely miss in Utah is the mountains and the beautiful hikes in the provo canyon. The "mountians" in Virginia..or should I say hills, are just not comparable to the Wasatch Mountains. Anyways keep up the good work..I enjoy reading the posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not quite sure about the plug for the Reading Rainbow guy? But seeing him did remind me of Spanish Fork, which is a town in Utah County. but if that was the case you also could have posted a picture of Ricki Lake or GhostWriter.

    ReplyDelete