Sunday, October 18, 2009

Interjection about Parenthood

Oh my heck, Heather and I just got to level 17 on Text Twist….BOOO YEEEAH!!!! This is essentially our life now. Having a child really changes your idea of having fun. Believe it or not, we used to be cool…we would do stuff…cool stuff too, like people would be jealous of how fun and cool we were. Now we stay up late (late, like 10:30) playing Text Twist. I think we can say we have truly arrived at parenthood.

I have been mulling over the idea for a couple of weeks now of a post blasting the insane amount of multi level marketing companies and security companies in Utah. But the amount of fun I just had over the last 30 minutes caused me to reevaluate this Sunday evening’s post. Don’t worry it’s coming…just not today.

As a parent of one I pretty much consider myself an expert on the subject…seriously ask me anything! Really, this post should probably be written by my sister Jen or my sister-in-law Erica, but they are probably busy making lunches or Halloween costumes… I mean these ladies are real parents; like I can’t wait to see what Erica does for Owen’s Eagle Project. So take it for what it’s worth, this is my input on the little sacrifices we make as parents.

Last night, Heather and I went on our first date without our seven month old daughter. (For those of you wondering how to still have a relationship with your significant other after kids, we just stumbled upon a gem. Put the kid down early and have a younger sibling come over and watch a movie with their girlfriend while you go out.) Since it had been so long, we decided to get creative and splurge a little…we treated ourselves to a Butterfinger shake and a regular order of Yukon Gold French Fries at Arctic Circle and came home after 45 minutes (p.s. we used coupons…total?...$3.21). I still marvel at how much has changed just over the last seven months.

Have I really aged that much? I used to get excited about going to the baseball playoffs, seeing Jack Johnson in concert, and going on ski trips…now I get excited over watching my daughter roll over, getting a high score in text twist, and General Conference.

Maybe spending 3 quarters of my monthly salary on baby food and accessories has caused me to rearrange some of my priorities a little, but I think I could search the world for an eternity and never find a thrill or see some beautiful vista that could compare to the feeling I get when I get my daughter out of her crib in the morning or hear her laugh. Although we don’t get huge earthly rewards for the sacrifices we make as parents, if every once in while I get to change a diaper without poop in it, that is reward enough for me.



2 comments:

  1. Scott and I are cracking up!! You are such a nerd Jared. My favorite part is you getting excited about General Conference and a poopless diaper! Too funny!!

    PS...Owen's eagle project is already done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that was cute.
    Fun parenting Fact #34:
    ~Babies first bath..fun
    ~Childs first time overflowing jetted tub, and having the water spill into basement..not so fun
    *changing poop-less diapers..good day
    *changing poop-filled panties...THE WORST!

    P.S.S... Maddie's halloween costume should be finished tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete